Share: Tribune Travel facebook-icon Tribune Travel pint-icon Tribune Travel insta-icon
Alt Text

Valentine’s Day travelers love to come to Mexico

By Tribune Travel

February 08, 2023

Valentine’s Day is not only about roses and chocolates. Travels are also a part of the celebrations. According to a report by Allianz Partners USA, the number of trip reservations for Valentine’s Day has increased by 45% from 2022.

The travel insurance provider analyzed more than 700,000 round-trip flight itineraries with departure dates from US airports between February 2 and 6 and return dates between February 9 and 13. 29% of these itineraries were for travel abroad, leaving 71% of them for domestic travel.

For those who opted for domestic travel, warm-weather destinations were the most sought-after with cities in Florida and Hawaii occupying the top five spots. However, snowy destinations such as Salt Lake City, Utah and Denver, Colorado were also popular and made it to the top 10.

Puerto Vallarta leads

When it comes to international travel, beach destinations were a favorite among travelers, with destinations in Mexico, Aruba, Jamaica, Costa Rica and the Caribbean being the top choices.

Cancun is in first place, followed by Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta is in third. Oranjestad, Montego Bay, Punta Cana, St. Thomas of the Virgin Islands, San Jose, Liberia, and Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos Islands round out the list of other popular international locations.

You may also like: Mexican Caribbean destinations on the top 2023 TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice

These numbers reveal that travel between the United States and Mexico is still on the rise. In this regard, the Mexican Secretary of Tourism recently reported that more than 13.3 million US air tourists entered the nation in 2022, an increase of 28% from 2021.

This is the full list of American tourists’ favorite destinations


  1.     Cancún, Mexico
  2.     San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
  3.     Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
  4.     Oranjestad, Aruba
  5.     Montego Bay, Jamaica
  6.     Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
  7.     Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
  8.     San José, Costa Rica
  9.     Liberia, Costa Rica
  10.     Providenciales, Turks and Caicos


  1.     Orlando, Florida
  2.     Fort Lauderdale, Florida
  3.     Miami, Florida
  4.     Honolulu, Hawai’i
  5.     Kahului, Hawai’i
  6.     Phoenix, Arizona
  7.     Los Angeles, California
  8.     Salt Lake City, Utah
  9.     Las Vegas, Nevada
  10.     Denver, Colorado






This site uses cookies. If you continue browsing you are giving your consent to accept the Cookies policy & Privacy policy.